WE RESPECT YOUR PRIVACY
Protecting your privacy and your Personal Information is an important aspect of the way in which we conduct our business. This Privacy Statement supports and endorses the Australian Privacy Principles established under the Privacy Act 1988.
WHAT SORT OF PERSONAL INFORMATION IS HELD/COLLECTED GENERALLY?
We will collect both Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) and non-Personal Information from you.
We may collect Personal Information about:
- our clients, business associates, potential clients and their personnel;
- other individuals in the course of acting for our clients;
- our suppliers and their employees;
- our employees, partners, contractors, former employees, former partners, former contractors, co-workers, or prospective employees, contractors or partners; and
- other people who come into contact with a member of Reed & Co. Estate Agents.
We may also collect and process non-Personal Information provided to us by your browser when you visit our website or use our applications.
HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED:
We will generally collect Personal Information:
- directly from you or from your representatives (e.g. solicitor, accountant or financial advisor);
- indirectly by you through:
- completion of applications, authorities and other forms;
- access and use of our website and by other electronic communication channels;
- use of the services available through our website, applications, blogs and social media channels;
- conversations with you;
- you giving us your business card;
- an enquiry made by telephone, mail, email, face to face, and via our website;
- you providing us your Personal Information to us at an “open for inspection”, auction or other Reed & Co. Estate Agents sanctioned event;
- you enquiring, applying for or negotiating with us with respect to purchasing or selling a property;
- publicly available sources of information;
- from Strata or Bodies Corporate, Strata or Body Corporate Managers and On-site Managers;
- your entry into a competition or promotion with us or participation in a survey including an “after sale service” follow-up;
- any other collection of or incidental (directly or indirectly) to a service or product we may be able to provide to you;
- our own records; and
If you supply Personal Information to us about another person, you represent and we accept the Personal Information, on the basis that you are authorised to do so and that the relevant person has consented to the disclosure to us.
Each time you visit our website our server collects some anonymous information, known as click-stream data, including the type of browser and system you are using, the address of the website you have come from and move to after your visit, the date and time of your visit and your server’s IP address. We may collect this information for statistical purposes to find out how our website is used and navigated, including the number of hits, the frequency and duration of visits and most popular session times. We may use this information to evaluate and improve our website’s performance.
A Cookie is a piece of information that our web server may send to your machine when you visit our websites. The Cookie is stored on your machine, but does not identify you or give us any information about your computer. A Cookie helps us to recognise you when you re-visit the Website and to co-ordinate your access to different pages on our website. With most Internet Browsers, you can erase Cookies from your computer hard drive, block all Cookies, or receive a warning before a Cookie is stored. If you want to do this, refer to your Browser instructions or help screen.
Links on our Website may take you outside our network. These links are provided in good faith. However, we are not responsible for third party sites and accept no responsibility for the content, accuracy, security or function of third-party sites.
PURPOSES FOR COLLECTING, HOLDING AND USING/DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION:
We collect, hold, use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to conduct our business, including providing appraisals of properties, acting as a real estate agent for the buying and selling of properties, leasing properties and advertising properties;
- to provide and market our business, products and services;
- to communicate with you to provide or promote our products or services, including providing you details of properties that you have expressed an interest in, or properties that you may be interested in;
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to help us manage, develop and enhance our services, including our website and applications;
- to respond to enquiries and feedback regarding our business, our products or services;
- to process tenancy applications;
- to approve transactional matters;
- for our internal business operations;
- to conduct “open for inspections” at properties owned or attended by you, and ensure prudent security measures are undertaken at all “open for inspections”;
- to conduct appropriate credit, identity and reference checks;
- to provide information to utilities, financial institutions etc. on your behalf;
- to conduct finance and other type brokerage activities on your behalf (if we should offer such services);
- maintaining and updating our business and infrastructure systems;
- providing your Personal information to our partners and contractors who provide us with services;
- to facilitate tradesmen etc. contacting you to arrange for repairs or maintenance;
- to facilitate third parties to assist us in providing our services (including hosting and data storage providers and debt collectors, whether located within or outside Australia);
- to maintain social media channels on which we have a presence;
- to pay bonds/release your details to rental bond authorities;
- to conduct legal process; and
- Insurance and governance purposes
HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED AND DISCLOSED GENERALLY
We may, on occasion, ask you to consent to disclosure or use of your Personal Information for a particular purpose. We may do so in writing or verbally. In other cases your consent will be taken to have been given, for example where you indicate to us that you wish to obtain information about any of the services that we provide. We do not and will not rent, sell or otherwise disclose your Personal Information to any third party without your prior consent, where that consent is required by law.
We also may disclose or use your Personal Information without your consent in the following circumstances:
- If you agree to the disclosure;
- to our officers, employees, affiliates, related bodies corporate. co-agents, representatives related companies, contractors and trusts (including staff of those related companies);
- to your representatives;
- to prospective purchasers or tenants concerning your property or their representatives;
- to third parties that assist us in providing our services (including hosting and data storage providers, database or computer system managers, advertising or marketing entities, and debt collectors, whether located within or outside Australia);
- to third parties that have requested us to provide services to you or who co-operate with us in offering products or services;
- to tradesmen etc. to undertake repairs or maintenance;
- to prospective tenants to contact you for an inspection;
- to courts, tribunals, statutory bodies or other third parties for the purposes for fulfilling our legal requirements;
- to professional providers (including lawyers, conveyancing entities or accountants) to facilitate necessary services associated with the sale, purchase or leasing of property;
- to the general public when advertising or marketing your property (or a property to which you tenant) including internet based advertising or marketing for the purposes of selling or leasing the property; and to media entities associated with our marketing and promoting of properties; or
- where it is necessary for the enforcement or the criminal law, a law imposing a pecuniary penalty or for the protection of the public revenue (including the identification or prevention of money laundering); or
- in circumstances where you would reasonably be expected to consent to information of that kind being passed to a third party.
CONSIDERATION WHEN YOU SEND INFORMATION TO US
While we do all we can to protect your privacy, including investing in security software, no data transfer over the Internet is 100% secure.
If you provide Personal Information to us electronically, there are ways you can help maintain the security of the information.
- always close your browser when you have finished your user session;
- do not provide Personal Information by using a public computer; and
- never disclosing your user name and password to another person.
You are responsible for all actions taken using your username, email or password. If at any time you believe your user name or password has been compromised, change your password and contact us immediately.
DIRECT MARKETING/INTERNET BASED ADVERTISING:
You acknowledge that we may include your Personal Information (including your name, address and contact details) in our databases. These databases may be used for ongoing marketing and sales related purposes or to advise you of the other services that we can offer.
The type of marketing and sales activities that we undertake may include informing you or property related issues or other services that we can offer to you. If you provide us with your email address you are consenting to receiving electronic mail correspondence from us in the form of an individual email or as part of our email marketing campaigns.
If at any time you no longer wish to receive any additional marketing material from us or do not want your information disclosed for direct marketing purposes, contact our Privacy Officer to request the removal of your details from our marketing database.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS OR CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, OR UNSUBSCRIBE?
Subject to the exceptions set out in the Privacy Act 1988, you may be entitled to seek access to and correction of Personal Information under data protection laws which we hold about you by contacting our Office Manager, Bianca Pascoe at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require. If a fee is charged for providing access, you will be advised of the likely cost in advance.
You always have the option to unsubscribe from any direct marketing communication you receive from us. If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future content, surveys, features or other marketing information or communications, you can contact us at any time at email@example.com to unsubscribe or update your preferences.
We may, from time to time, have or maintain a presence on social media. You can interact with us via social media where we maintain a presence. When you do so, you consent to any Personal Information you provide or disclose being collected, used and disclosed by us in the manner described in this Privacy Statement. You should be aware that interactions on social media with us may be publicly visible to all users of the social media platform.
We reserve the right to remove any photos, comments or other material that is in any way inappropriate or offensive (in our opinion) from our website or social media channels on which we have a presence.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OFF-SHORE
- When providing our services (including purchasing or selling a property or arranging finance), we may provide services or disclose Personal Information in countries other than Australia. This may include Sensitive Information.
- In addition to Australia, the countries where information may be disclosed include New Zealand, the Philippines and other countries from time to time.
- Off-shore disclosure may be through arrangements we have with entities in other countries that supply international portals which facilitate the advertising of properties and businesses for sale to overseas buyers.
- The overseas recipient may not be subject to any privacy obligations or to any principles similar to the Australian Privacy Principles. The overseas recipient may also be subject to a foreign law which could compel disclosure of Personal Information to a third party, for example, an overseas authority.
- If you consent to the disclosure and the overseas recipient handles the information in breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act, may not be able to seek redress in the overseas jurisdiction and we will not be accountable under the Privacy Act.
- By providing us with Personal Information, you consent to us using and disclosing your Personal Information off-shore. If at any time you wish to withdraw your consent, contact our Privacy Officer. However, we may not be able to provide the Services you have requested in whole or in part or those Services may have to be modified.
NOTIFIABLE DATA BREACHES SCHEME
In the event of any loss, or unauthorised access or disclosure of your Personal Information that is likely to result in serious harm to you, we will investigate and notify you and the Australian Information Commissioner as soon as practicable, in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
We take reasonable steps to securely store Personal Information. This includes electronic and physical security measures, staff training and use of password protection software. By using our website you acknowledge that the internet is inherently insecure and we can only use our best endeavours to secure your Personal Information.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
This Privacy Statement will be reviewed from time to time to take in account new laws and technology, changes to our operations and practices and the changing business environment. The most current version of this Privacy Statement is located at www.reedandco.co/privacy-policy and can also be obtained by contacting our Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMPLAINTS, CORRECTIONS, FEEDBACK OR QUESTIONS
We welcome any feedback you may have regarding our Privacy Statement. If you have any questions about privacy-related issues or wish to complain about a breach of your privacy or the handling of your Personal Information by us, please contact our Office Manager at email@example.com. We may ask you to lodge your complaint in writing. Any complaint will be investigated by the Office Manager and you will be notified of the making of a decision in relation to your complaint as soon as is practicable after it has been made, usually within 30 days.
If we are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns about our handling of your Personal Information, you can contact the Australian Information Commissioner:
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001